In search of a fine-dining spot to improve on a special evening out at Rogers Place? Want to celebrate after an epic Oilers’ win or rehash an incredible pop-star performance? These downtown dining destinations will serve you everything from a memorable meal to late-night entertainment!
1. Hankering for a quality cut of meat? Visit Atlas Steak + Fish in the Grand Villa Casino, where steaks are
slow-grilled in a Josper oven — which is a combined charcoal grill and oven — including the 48 oz. Tomahawk steak. You’ll need to bring someone to share it with!
2. Also serving up delicious eats in the casino is Match Eatery + Public House. Enjoy upgraded pub food, including Szechwan Lettuce Wraps and Chicken & Waffles, and find kid-friendly options if you’re treating your kids to a hockey game.
ACROSS THE STREET
3. You’re one short crossing from the rotisserie-style meats at Mexican hot spot Rostizado. Besides the flavourful pork and chicken, the cauliflower pan-roasted in pork fat and the smoked russet potatoes whipped with manchego cheese are divine sides.
4. A great spot to feel a part of the hockey excitement, Mercer Tavern is located in one of the oldest buildings in the city. Enjoy fine pub foods, including fried chicken marinated in house brine for 24 hours and a Chicken Tocino sandwich topped with brie, pickled onions, and garlic mayo.
5. A new sister restaurant to the popular cocktail joint North 53, Baijiu features Asian-inspired tapas and drinks in a rustic-chic atmosphere. Follow the pink neon glow of their sign inside and order yourself a Last Days in Vietnam cocktail — lemongrass soju, cognac, oloroso sherry, Thai basil syrup, and a bird’s-eye chili.
6. Dine surrounded by stunning art with the innovative menu at Zinc Restaurant in the Art Gallery of Alberta. Each dish is plated creatively, such as the Arctic Char with amarosa potato, wild boar bacon, and confit tomatoes — you may feel a slight guilt wrecking the plating with your fork, but all regrets will be gone once you taste it!
7. Located in the Union Bank Inn, Madison’s Grill provides an elegant space and dining experience. Find a solid wine list that’s ready to pair with entrées such as Roast Duck Breast with a crisp skin, complimented by orange braise anise and a pomegranate reduction.
8. Share a variety of delectable Spanish-style seafood tapas at Bodega. Cold offerings like the Octopus & Mussel Salad or hot ones like the Baclhau Cake — salt cod fritter in a garlicky Romesco-style sauce — will have your mouth watering and your heart less willing to share.
9. Be entertained as you watch the chefs at Japanese Village artfully prepare a Japanese feast in the teppanyaki dining room. More than just a show, this traditional restaurant serves up seafood delicacies — such as fried oysters and ginger squid — and grilled AAA beef steaks.
WORTH THE WALK
10. With a focus on wood-fired cooking and barrel-aged spirits, Woodwork is one of the best spots for a craft cocktail and an upscale bar snack. The expert mixologists here can craft you up something special if you’re having trouble settling on a concoction from their extensive menu.
11. Finish your night with a fine glass of wine and spuntini at Bar Bricco, a celebrated member of Daniel Costa’s restaurant family. The Egg Yolk Raviolo is a delightful, rich treat that’s a golden way to cap off any night.
12. The elegant Hardware Grill features regional cuisine paired well with their award-winning (but still approachable) wine list. You’ll be satisfied by a perfect pairing for their Lacquered Duck Breast and House Duck Sausage — with mascarpone potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts and butternut squash — and all of their fine entrées.
13. A contemporary Italian restaurant, The Parlour offers signature wood-fired pizzas and the option to craft our own with a list of artisan ingredients. Their balanced wine list is served on tap and is half-off on Wednesdays.
14. Popular for years among symphony- and theatre-goers, Bistro Praha can host any type of audience! This cozy restaurant features European-style dishes, including their famous Wiener Schnitzel, succulent Roasted Duck, and exquisite Steak a la Tartare.
KEEP THE PARTY ALIVE
15. Extend your night out by walking down to Stage 104 Kitchen + Lounge, where you’ll be treated to live music most nights. The feature flatbread frequently changes, but the regular Margherita with tomato sauce, mozzarella, and fresh basil always hits the spot.
16. The fusion foods at JOEY Bell Tower put a spin on traditional favourites, such as Hawaiian Tuna Tacos with avocado and a chili miso. Enjoy them with a refreshing Elderflower Collins, which combines Beefeater gin, elderflower cordial, and grapefruit juice.
17. The cool underground space of The Chvrch of John serves up craft cocktails and an impressive wine list, perfect to unwind with. Watch their event calendar online: this cool nightclub hosts a variety of pop-up events, including unique dinners, yoga nights, cocktail clubs, and poetry performances.
18. With over 72 beers on tap, monthly brewery tap takeovers, and limited-edition beers from breweries across Canada, Underground Tap & Grill has a drink to please everyone from the craft beer newbie to the aficionado! New beers are tapped every Thursday, so there’s always a drink to come back for.
19. One of Edmonton’s newest and hippest live-music venues, The Needle Vinyl Tavern programs acts from an eclectic mix of artists. You may be surprised by some of the hot artists or surprise golden oldies they book for their hospitable venue.
WHERE Edmonton is giving away a framed Oilers photo from West Edmonton Coin & Stamp! This photo features Edmonton Oilers player Leon Draisaitl’s first NHL goal.
To enter to win this iconic keepsake, follow WHERE Edmonton on Twitter and watch for tweets about the contest! We will draw for the winner on May 23.