1. Pumpkin Spice Macarons The soft, sweet, bite-size macarons at Duchess Bakeshop are always a popular treat, and the feature pumpkin spice variety is the perfect flavour for fall. If you’re looking for something more traditional, their pumpkin tarts or apple pies are scrumptious (though their perfect crust looks *too* good to eat).
2. Pumpkin Challah The scent of freshly baked bread is always present at Dauphine Bakery, but the picture-perfect loaves of crusty, fluffy pumpkin challah studded with pumpkin seeds are a must-try. Pick up a loaf to take home at the bakery and, while you’re there, stay for a warm drink and another treat (they have chocolate covered pumpkin cream puffs, among other delights!) They sell the bread at the Downtown City Market on Saturday mornings, too.
3. Homemade Chai Tea When asked where to get a good cup of chai in Edmonton, most locals won’t hesitate before referring you to Remedy Cafe. A balance of spices are boiled in-house to create a flavourful, rich, and creamy hot beverage. Wrap your hands around a warm mug of chai and cozy up!
4. Pumpkin Chai Spiced Ale A sure sign of fall in Edmonton is the release of this seasonal beer from local brewery Alley Kat Brewing Co. Why do people love it so much? “It’s a reminder of everything people love about fall,” Alley Kat employee Kristen Ashmore suggests. “It has a rich flavour, a rich orange colour, and the mix of spices and fresh pumpkin evokes the cozy feeling of a warm fall afternoon.” Pick up a few bottles at the brewery, or try some on tap at various restaurants in the city — Next Act Pub and Sugar Bowl are good spots to try.
5. Pumpkin Cheesecake Delicately varnished with fragrant spices, the soft, melt-in-your-mouth pumpkin cheesecake from Nineteen is a decadent version of a favourite dessert.