Lace up your skates and get ready to glide at one of the city’s outdoor rinks!
1. Alberta Legislature: Enjoy some frosty fun as you glide among twinkling lighted trees and the whimsical, softly lit grounds. The lawn bowling fields behind the Alberta Legislature Building are converted into rinks perfect for enjoying the stunning scenery.
2. City Hall: This public ice plaza is open daily, with an indoor change room open during select hours (check the City of Edmonton website for more details). And don’t miss Swing ‘n’ Skate every Sunday til February 23, with live swing, jazz, and big band music (played in City Hall) broadcasted outside.
3. Hawrelak Park: This huge rink, nestled in a 68-hectare parkland, boasts stunning views of the river valley. Skate rentals and blade sharpening are available on-site on Friday evenings and weekends, so there’s no reason not to take the whole family out for a spin!
4. Victoria Park Oval & IceWay: Got a need for speed? This rink is one of the most scenic outdoor speed skating tracks in Canada. The three-loop skating trail weaves its way to the skating track, home of the Edmonton Speed Skating Association. It’s open to all skaters, though, if you want to just skate a leisurely lap.
5. Rundle Park: Grab a hockey stick and take to one of their shinny ponds for a game of ice hockey. Stick to the main rink for some good ol’ fashioned skating.