1. Add some artistic wonder to your summer with the free admission night at the Art Gallery of Alberta on the last Thursday of the month. The Whyte Ave. Art Walk (July 8 – 10) is also free to wander around, with artists lining the streets and creating original pieces throughout the weekend!
3. Watch an impressive trick or laugh along to ridiculous jokes during a street act at the Street Performers Festival (July 8 – 17) or Edmonton International Fringe Theatre Festival (August 11 – 21). Limber human knots, incredible acrobats, silly clowns, and yo-yoing unicyclists will amaze everyone in the family! Though these talented people perform for free, donations are encouraged.
4. Learn about the colourful history of downtown Edmonton on a Core Crew tour! Knowledgeable and friendly students will guide you on a 90-minute walk, pointing out the best places to shop, dine, and relax every weekday afternoon through August 19.
5. Grab your family and some lawn chairs and head to Churchill Square for a blockbuster film every Tuesday in August. Live entertainment at Movies on the Square begins at 7 pm until the sun sets for the movie on a three-storey-high screen. Feel summer awaken at the first flick — Star Wars: The Force Awakens!
6. Experience some of the city’s diverse cultures during the dance and artistic performances at Heritage Festival (July 30 – August 1). Or watch the vibrantly decorated boats race down the North Saskatchewan for the traditional Dragon Boat Festival (August 19 – 21)!
7. Walk among nature with your family in Edmonton’s gorgeous river valley! The park has hundreds of kilometres of walking and biking trails and over 20 major parks — perfect for a day filled with exploration and adventure!