Festivals, hockey, music, local artists, and so much more are ready for you this weekend! We’ve got amazing options whether you want to get out of the house or stay in with festival favourites.
- 1. The Hill at Home – Edmonton Folk Fest online | Aug 7-9
For 2020, the Edmonton Folk Music Festival programmed a festival weekend of music and activities to recreate the festival at home. Watch songs from past festivals, order your favourite festival food, enjoy your own personal beer garden, shop a virtual artisan market, make some art in the family fun zone, listen to festival playlists on Spotify, and enjoy a weekend of programming on CKUA. Plus, there’s an Edmonton-made documentary about the festival!
2. Cariwest Virtual Lime | Aug 7-9
The colourful Cariwest Caribbean Arts Festival is going virtual this year! Don’t miss a program that encompasses all the elements that we have all come to love during Cariwest weekend.
– Friday (7 pm–12 am): Cariwest Virtual Fete and its DJ lineup with a blend of calypso, soca, dancehall, and reggae.
– Saturday (1 pm–5 pm): Diversity Dance Group, Fire breather, Bliss Band, and more—including an international guest artist.
– Sunday (11 pm–4 pm): Film presentation, Trincan Steel Orchestra, Calypso Showcase, and more.
3. NHL Stanley Cup Qualifiers
It’s the qualifying round for the NHL playoffs, and several teams are vying for a coveted spot in the finals—including our very own Edmonton Oilers. Looking for a place to watch a game or two? We’ve found some great places that have big screens to cheer on the Oilers or your (second-)favourite team!
4. Rock’N August | Through Aug 8
This year’s Rock’n August is offering a series of modified events in order to bring the Classic Car Community to St. Albert. Games, prizes, “Community Cruise” series, and drive-in movies scheduled.
5. Alberta on the Plate | Aug 7-16
This is Alberta’s only province-wide dine-around festival celebrating local food and drink. Participating restaurants offer multi-course fixed-price menus highlighting local producers, growers, distillers, and brewers. Special events featuring local products can also be found in all corners of the province.
Participating Edmonton restaurants include Highlevel Diner, Three Vikings, The Marc, Why Not Cafe, and more.
6. Great Lake Getaways
Need to get out of the city? Check out one of these great places to enjoy close to Edmonton for a day trip!
7. Farmers’ Markets
A weekend isn’t complete without browsing through a farmers’ market! Find some of the best fruits & veggies, artisanal crafts, and live music that Edmonton’s producers offer