There is no better way to celebrate the end of the month and the beginning of spring (fingers crossed!) then with a long leisurely weekend brunch. Here are five fantastic spots that are sure to satisfy!
1. Blue Plate Diner This local favourite, with its cosy atmosphere and unique fare, is always bustling on the weekend. The pancakes are fantastic — rivaling even my dad’s famous homemade ones (don’t tell him), and there are lots of vegetarian, vegan, and celiac friendly options as well! Brunch is served from 9 am – 1 pm on Saturday and from 9 am – 2 pm on Sunday. 10145-104 St., 780-429-0740.
2. Sugarbowl If you are lucky enough to grab a table at this hot spot, then be sure to savour a cappuccino and the incredibly satisfying breakfast sandwich. Can’t find a table? Nab a cinnamon bun to go! Brunch is served from 8 am – 3 pm on Saturday and Sunday. 10922-88 Ave., 780-433.8369.
3. Canteen One of the hippest new brunch spots in town, Canteen is the spot to go for a truly unique morning meal. Craving something sweet to start your day? Try the Cinnamon Allspice French Toast with spiced walnuts, berry compote, orange syrup, citrus mascarpone and sugar bacon. If something savoury is more tempting, then look no further then the Huevos Canteenos with corn tortillas, house smoked pulled pork, black beans, pico de gallo, poached eggs, and house ricotta. Brunch is served from 10 am – 2 pm on Saturday and Sunday. 10522-124 St., 780-485-6125.
4. Wild Earth Cafe Freshly baked quiche, muffins, scones, cinnamon buns, croissants, and more will tempt your tastebuds at this bustling bakery/cafe. With three locations in the city (only the two listed below are open on the weekend), this is a great spot to grab brunch to-go and head back to bed, or curl up in an overstuffed chair in the cafe and enjoy the company of a good book. Baked goods are available all day! 8902-99 St., 780-425-8423; 14238-85 Ave., 780-444-5820.
5. The Fairmont Who doesn’t want to have brunch in the elaborate ballroom of one of the most majestic buildings in our city?! The space may be impressive, but the never-ending brunch buffet is what will really catch your eye. With everything from crepes, to omelettes, to fish, to pastries, the decadent feast will fuel you for, well, an afternoon nap! Brunch is served from 10 am – 2 pm on Sunday, reservations are required. 10065-100 St., 780-424-5181.