Christmas has come and gone for another year, and New Year’s celebrations are still days away… If you’re wondering how to spend the frosty days in between, here are some suggestions for great events and activities happening in Edmonton this time of year!
1. Explore All that’s NEW at Telus World of Science — Edmonton
• Check out the newly renovated IMAX theatre with new seats, a larger screen, and a digital projector that enables 3D IMAX screenings. It opens December 26, 2013 with the 3D film Jerusalem. Join renowned archaeologist Dr. Jodi Magness as she travels underground to solve some of this city’s greatest mysteries. Find out why, after thousands of years, Jerusalem and the Holy Land continue to stir the imagination of billions of people.
• In the feature exhibit gallery, step into the fantastical world of Harry Potter as you explore the sets, costumes, and props from all eight Harry Potter movies.
• Check out the brand new How to Make a Monster: The Art & Technology of Animatronics exhibit and go behind the scenes to see how special effects are created in the movies. This exhibit is included with general admission.
More Info: www.telusworldofscienceedmonton.com
2. Visit Jack Frost… Inside!
The feature pyramid at the Muttart Conservatory features a creative display of hundreds of colourful Poinsettias, frosty ice patterns on the pyramid glass, and whimsical winter decorations. On display through January 5, 2014.
3. Watch a Classic Film on the Big Screen
Metro Cinema is showing the family favourite film Gremlins December 26, and the cult comedy The Big Lebowski December 28. As a bonus: dress up as your favourite character from The Big Lebowski and share it on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram with the hashtag #MetroCinemaLebowski and Metro’s website for your chance to win a Silver Screen pass (free movies at Metro Cinema for an entire year!).
More Info: www.metrocinema.org
4. Discover What’s New at the Zoo
The Edmonton Valley Zoo recently opened Phase II of their redevelopment which features a striking new entry plaza — including a new café, Zoo Store, and the new otter exhibit — and the elaborate, interactive The Wander pathway system.
More Info: buildingourzoo.com
5. Take an Art Tour… Holiday Style!
Enjoy a complimentary guided tour of one of the feature exhibits at the Art Gallery of Alberta from December 27 – January 5.
More Info: www.youraga.ca