On Tuesday, December 8, the Alberta government released new province-wide mandatory restrictions, which ultimately affect many different Edmonton businesses. Here are some key takeaways:
1) Masks or face coverings are mandatory in all indoor spaces. Several Edmonton retailers sell reusable masks.
2) Social gatherings, both indoors and outdoors, are banned. This affects many previously planned seasonal events, so double-check websites before making any plans.
3) In-person dining is closed—many restaurants and cafes offer takeout and/or delivery options.
4) The number of customers allowed in a retail store will be restricted to 15% of the store’s fire code allowance. Many shops offer curb-side pickup and delivery as well.
5) Attractions, recreational facilities, and personal/wellness services will be closed for a minimum of four weeks starting Sunday, December 13 (though some may close earlier). This includes museums, galleries, gyms, spas, salons, and indoor rinks.
For more information on the mandatory provincial restrictions, please visit the Alberta Government website.