It’s JUNO weekend! From music to comedy to hockey, there’s tons of ways to experience all the fun of the 2023 JUNO Awards. Plus, the last weekend of SkirtsAfire, a celebration of women in aviation, and a two-day festival dedicated to the best in beer. Here’s what’s on this weekend.
JUNO Awards Events
1. JUNOFest | March 10–12, Various Venues
- Artists from across Canada are taking over Edmonton venues for a weekend filled with music! There will be over 50 different musicians playing shows this weekend of all genres! Catch Cadence Weapon at The Common on March 10 or enjoy a selection of local artists at The Key of Me at Block 1912, which is presented in partnership with SkirtsAfire festival. This is just the tip of the iceberg, there’s so much fun to explore. Check out their website for a full schedule of events.
2. JUNO Comedy Show | March 10, Rapid Fire Theatre (10437–83 Ave.)
- Looking to laugh? Head down to Rapid Fire Theatre for a hilarious evening of Canadian comics. This event will feature performances by 2023 Comedy Album of the Year nominees, including Courtney Gilmour, Jackie Pirico, Jon Dore, Matt Wright, and Zabrina Douglas. Two shows, at 7:00pm & 9:00pm.
3. JUNO Opening Night Awards | March 11, Edmonton convention Centre (9797 Jasper Ave.)
- This exclusive industry event will include the presentation of over 40 awards, including The Walt Grealis Special Achievement award and the MusiCounts Inspired Minds Ambassador Award. While tickets for this event are not open to the public, the ceremony will be live-streamed on CBC Gem and CBC Music’s social media pages! Make sure to tune in to catch exclusive performances from Devon Cole, The Bearhead Sisters, Corb Lund, and more.
5. JUNO Cup | March 12, Downtown Community Arena (10245–105 ave.)
- The JUNO Cup is returning for the first time since 2019! Musicians and professional athletes go head to head in a hockey game that will appeal to music and sports lovers alike. Members from bands like Rare Americans, Blue Rodeo, and Billy Talent will be taking on sports legends like Ben Scrivens and Carla MacLeod in support of MusiCounts, Canada’s music education charity. Tickets are still available, plus you can get two for the price of one when you use promo code 2FOR1. Purchase your tickets here.
7. JUNOS Songwriters’ Circle | March 12, Winspear Centre (4 Winston Churchill Sq.)
- Explore the fascinating world of songwriting with a night of conversations and music from some of the industry’s top talents! This evening will include a live taping of Tom Power’s hit CBC program Q, where he will be interviewing Simu Liu. Then, enjoy conversations and acoustic performances from JUNO nominees and past winners including Dan Mangan, Tenille Townes, The Bros. Landreth, and more! The show kicks off at 7 and you can purchase your tickets on the Winspear’s website!
Skirtsafire | March 10–12
- This weekend is your last chance to catch all the exciting events of SkirtsAfire 2023! Along with their mainstage show The Space Between Stars, this festival includes comedy nights, cafe concerts, and so much more. Plus, see beautiful upcycled skirts on display at local businesses around Old Strathcona. Read more in our event spotlight here.
Women of Aviation Worldwide Week Celebration | March 11
The Alberta Aviation Museum will be celebrating the past, present, and future contributions of women in the aviation industry! This year is the 10th annual celebration held by the museum, which commemorates the anniversary of the world’s first female pilot license. Also designed to address the gender imbalance in the air and space industry, this event will include a career fair where you can meet experts in the industry and discover tons of exciting employment opportunities. Additionally, visitors are invited to explore the museum, where you can enjoy interactive activity booths and see inside rare historical aircrafts. This event is an educational and exciting way to celebrate the landmark contributions of women in aviation.
Jersey Boys | March 10–12
This weekend is your last chance to catch this stunning musical at the Citadel Theatre! Telling the legendary story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, Jersey Boys has wowed audiences across the globe! Don’t miss the opportunity to enjoy classic tunes like “Walk Like A Man” and “Sherry.”
Giselle | March 10–12
Join Alberta Ballet at the Jubilee Auditorium for an electric new interpretation of this classic show filled with intrigue and drama. Widely regarded as the defining ballet of the romantic era and one of the most foundational ballets of all time, Giselle follows a young peasant girl whose secret relationship begins to unravel her psyche.
Edmonton craft beer festival | March 10–11
Calling all craft beer lovers! Get ready to sample from hundreds of craft beer, spirits, ciders, mead (fermented honey alcohol), and soju (a distilled Korean liquor) from your official four-ounce souvenir mug. On-site are also 30+ local restaurants, live music and dancing, and seminars.