Between festivals, events, and the energy of everyday city life, Edmonton’s downtown is a must-visit—even if you’re from here. Travel east along Jasper Avenue (and north along 100 Street) to discover impressive dining destinations, gorgeous artworks, and the best local nightlife. Whether you’re here to relax or even party throughout the Grey Cup Festival, you’ve found the right neighbourhood.
1. Looking for tickets to the hottest local shows and events or a gorgeous gift or souvenir from local artists and makers? Find art, jewellery, photography, clothing, CDs, books, and more at the TIX on the Square community box office. 9930-102 Ave., Sir Winston Churchill Sq., 780-420-1757.
2. Treat yourself to a stroll through The Artworks. This exquisite one-stop gift shop carries great stationery and cards from small presses, stunning fresh floral arrangements, handcrafted glassware, jewellery, and more. Great window displays, too! Suite 100, 10150-100 St., 780-420-6311.
3. Unwind after a long day, or get a long night started at Craft Beer Market. Choose from more than 100 beers on tap (including local and international brews and one-of-a-kind weekly casks), wine, cocktails, and a wide-ranging menu. Or maybe indulge in their monthly Brewmaster’s Dinner: a four-course menu paired with a partner brewery. 10013-101 A Ave.
4. With an extensive menu of barrel-aged spirits and wood-fired cooking, Woodwork is a great place to stop by before (and after) a night out. Sip and savour one of their award-winning cocktails, like a classic Old Fashioned. 10132-100 St., 780-757-4100.
5. Featuring 72 rotating taps, Underground Tap & Grill has the largest Canadian and international selections and the perfect atmosphere for a relaxed—yet vibrant—night out. And, since they feature a different brewery every month, there’s always a new brew to enjoy. 10004 Jasper Ave., 780-425-1880.
6. A hidden gem in the historic Union Bank Inn, Madison’s Grill offers contemporary cuisine made with the best local products in a classy and casual location. Try the Guinness-Braised Lamb Shank or the Red Wine Rabbit, or leave it to the culinary team’s expertise with a multi-course tasting menu and customized wine pairing. 10053 Jasper Ave., 780-423-2222.
7. Located at the Courtyard Marriot, the Riverside Bistro is famous for its incredible view of the river valley. Indulge a craving with the Beef Vindaloo (beef curry served with naan), or try the always-popular Chicken Club Sandwich for timeless comfort food. The globally inspired menu varies from season to season. 1 Thornton Court, 99 St. & Jasper Ave., 780-945-4747.
8. Feel good about any menu choice at the downtown Moth Café, featuring tasty plant-based dishes and cocktails—and even a kombucha bar. Customer favourites include the lasagna (which sells out), cashew chai latte, and the chocolate cake. The purple risotto is also phenomenal! 9449 Jasper Ave., 780-244- 9702.